Sunday, January 27, 2013

Grandma's Ginger Cookies

Nearly every Saturday morning finds me in the kitchen making food to take to our carry in dinner after church on Sunday, and yesterday was no exception.

After cooking up the chicken and rice casserole and filling the crock pot ready for heating up today, I turned to the dessert. I decided to take advantage of the fact that it is still winter (despite the fact that the temperature was in the 60's yesterday) and make a recipe I typically only make in the Fall and Winter months - Grandma's Ginger Cookies.


The original recipe for these cookies has been passed down from generation to generation from my Great-Great Grandma. If you love ginger cookies, you'll want to try this recipe. These special cookies are packed with flavor and are crisp on the outside while being oh so soft in the middle!

I have changed the recipe slightly to make it a little healthier, but the taste is just as wonderful.

Grandma's Ginger Cookies

1/2 cup coconut oil (or additional shortening)
1 cup molasses
1 cup cane juice crystals (or sugar)
1 egg
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
1 tablespoon ginger
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt

Mix shortening, oil, molasses, sugar, and egg. Add dry ingredients and mix well. Drop by spoonfuls onto an ungreased baking sheet and bake on 350 for 8-10 minutes.

(Do not over bake unless you like your cookies completely crisp rather than soft inside.)


Note: The palm shortening and coconut oil I used in this recipe are from Tropical Traditions. I highly recommend their quality products and right now they even have a FREE Shipping coupon! Just use the code 28113 at checkout to receive free shipping on your order. Plus if you order through one of my referral links on this page, you'll also receive a FREE copy of their Coconut Oil book which is excellent! And thanks in advance for allowing me to refer you to Tropical Traditions!

I'm linked up at: Heavenly Treats Sunday

No comments: