Thursday, May 12, 2011

Sneak Preview and a Question

A few weeks ago when I was at JoAnn's, I found some adorable hot pink, green, orange, and white coordinating print fabrics. They look just like summer, so I bought a couple yards and took them home to make a patchwork skirt. When I got home I discovered that I had some green, orange, and pink polka dot fabric from the same line that I had purchased last year! They went together with my white prints perfectly, and I was able to cut out 6 different items using the approximately 8 1/4 yards of fabric I ended up with. It was so fun to see how many different things I could use all those coordinating fabrics for! :)

Here's one of my new cute summer outfits made from 5 of the fabrics. I ran out of the pink polka dot fabric before I got to this outfit, so I'll just use it for the hair bows.


I'm also working on a couple different sizes of patchwork skirts using these fabrics as well, and I have a question for my readers about one of them.




This skirt is a size 4/5. On a four year-old, it would probably be around ankle length, and for a five year old it's probably about mid-calf length.
My question is, should I add sewn in bloomers to this skirt?

I had a poll on my blog a while ago asking for input about whether Mommy's of Little Girls like the built in bloomers/shorts best or not. It seems that most people DO want the built in bloomers/shorts for their little girls. I'm now making nearly all of my toddler skirts and my little girls knee length skirts with sewn in bloomers. Should I also do that for my size 4/5 skirts? What about the 6/8 size? Most little girls (even 8 and 9 year-olds) that I know still need shorts or something under their dresses for modesty. Should those be sewn in? What's your preference - Shorts or Bloomers?

Thanks so much for your input! I appreciate it!

7 comments:

Mandy said...

I would want bloomers sewn in, just because my daughter wears a dress and a skirt all the time. So the built in bloomers are nice instead of adding another waistband (shorts). She's currently in size 3s, but I don't see that trend changing when she moves up to 4/5.

Not sure about 6/8. I assume she'll have some modestly then, but built in might still be nice just so you don't have several waistbands.

Vintage Knit Crochet said...

I would suggest nothing sewn into any size girls clothing. Little girls want to be like Mommy, who has nothing sewn in.

The Preppy Student said...

For toddlers bloomers are ok. I think for 4/5 skirts and 6/8 should have shorts underneath or little leggings.

Belley Family said...

All my girls wear shorts underneath. Since my girls are petite, they wear a 4/5 size when they are older, so I think they would not want the sewn in bloomers might not be necessary. IF my 4-year-old DID fit that size, I would still appreciate sewn-in bloomers. Hope this helps!

ScribbersCrayons said...

Is it possible that you offer sewn in bloomers to the upper sizes for an additional charge?

Joy said...

I think the sewn-in shorts would be a great idea! My girls always wear something under their dresses and skirts, and it would be nice to have it all in one piece.

Personally, I think even up to the 6/8 or above would benefit from this. My little girls (5 and 9) have some knee-length skirts from Hanna Andersson, and they have sewn-in shorts. The girls like these skirts a lot, and they appreciate that they can be very active in them.

Miss Sarah said...

Thanks so much for your comments! I really appreciate getting the perspective of Mommy's of Little Girls. :) I ended up putting ruffled bloomers in this skirt. I guess we'll see how it goes.

I was actually thinking of maybe offering optional sewn in shorts or bloomers for the bigger sizes, so thanks for confirming that this might be something workable, Scribblers Crayons.

Civil War and More, I wonder if your daughter would be able to fit in this size 4/5 skirt. It would be too big for my 4 1/2 year old neice. Hmm... well I guess these petite girls will just be in the size 3/4 for longer. :)